Okay, here’s an article that just doesn’t take it far enough: http://ruinedcast.com/art-matching-tie-dress-shirt/ I’m all for knowing how to match ties to your outfit, particularly if you’re rocking the aubergine suits we’ve seen recently, but these rules are just silly. If your suit is dark and your shirt is white, have fun with your tie! Why play it safe? Go patterned, pink, or orange (maybe not with black. We’re not condoning Halloween themed outfits). Who do you notice? The guy in the black suit, white shirt, black tie look or the one with an awesome tie? I hope you said awesome tie, cause that’s the look I’m writing this article to help you create.
Remember, if the tie isn’t working for you when lunch rolls around, you’re not fused to it. Take it off! Bust out the tie you keep in your desk or go a bit more casual. Rule of thumb for ties: Always experiment, except on days when you’ll be photographed or in a terribly important meeting. In those cases go with what you know you like.
So, creating a look with a standout tie can be intimidating, but here are some rules to keep you sane on your way to being awesome.
1. Always keep a backup tie in your desk. Preferably 2.
2. Wear Blue, Green, Pinks, Oranges with a blue suit
3. Wear whatever you want with a grey suit
4. Don’t wear bold patterns with other bold patterns (in the suit and shirt). If a pattern is more than a simple, geometric one, chances are it’s bold. Mix bolds with solids on the safe side and minimal patterns if you dare.
5. Textured ties are cool. Wear them
6. Play with the texture of your layers. Wearing a cardigan doesn’t stop you from wearing a tie.
7. There are no real rules (although I do think #1 is good advice). If you like it, wear it.
Here are some ideas to help you get the creative outfit juices flowing: